Sunday, February 1, 2009

Alix Pearlstein

After attending the Alix Pearlstein lecture, I have to admit I left a little confused. Performance art is something foreign to me, so I don't think I really grasped the concepts behind her work. Her earlier work seemed to be poorly crafted, and I found it hard to appreciate, although I found it amusing. The use of basic sound clips for dialogue and soundtrack were distracting and too familiar for me to understand their relevance. Her ideas behind character interaction and camera movement were interesting to me alone, but combined with the actual performance and dialogue I was overwhelmed with confusion. All in all, I didn't find this lecture to be personally inspiring on any level, but perhaps it just wasn't my cup of tea.

1 comment:

  1. It's fair to say it may not be your cup of tea. No harm no foul. I do find it interesting however to note that being able to view any arc of an artist work may provide a better understanding of where the newer stuff came from. So as she has improved- or at least the the points where you find interesting. It's important to notice what things have fallen by the wayside and what she continues to adapt and explore. Performance art and some video art is tough though. Take it for what it is worth and leave the rest.
    Hassan

    ReplyDelete