Friday, May 8, 2009

First Friday 5/1

I went and viewed the 'Rooted' show at Quirk Gallery, by Rita and Erin Root. My interpretation of this artwork was more or less impressed. I enjoyed the paintings of horses as they became more abstract throughout the show. I felt as though some of the portraits of these horses were a little repetitive by nature, and being somebody who has no experience with horses, I felt I interpreted the emotions of these large animals differently than the artist. In some respects, I can understand how these animals can be large and beautiful, but also after my experiences visiting rural Vermont numerous occasions throughout my lifetime, I view horses with a negative and smelly connotation. My experiences in Vermont allowed me to connect with the other work of decomposing animal parts because I witnessed many of these subjects first hands in the woods. I enjoyed the large beeswax sculpture of the deer head and thought much about it's presentation and why it was chosen to be as it was. Overall I felt a lot of animosity between the two sets of work, the beauty and the decomposition of animals, and yet I thought the show was cohesive and entertaining for the most part.

No comments:

Post a Comment